John Stannage 1834-1858
Edwin Gilpin Jr. 1849
Henry Mitchell Spike 1850-1851
Thomas Day Ruddie 1852
William Rupert Cochran 1852-1854
John Pearson 1854-1856
John Ambrose 1858-1870
J. O. Ruggles 1870-1878
Philip H. Brown 1878-1892
Lawrence Amor 1892-1900
F.P. Greatorex 1900-1902
Samuel Trivett 1902-1911
Innes E. Fraser 1912-1926
William H. Knickle 1927-1937
John F. Rudderham 1938-1943
Horace MacLean 1943-1949
Gordon H. B. Rutter 1950
Carmon W. F. Stone 1951
Dr. Rees Wright 1952-1953
Col. William Rippon 1954-1968
John C. Earle 1968-1980
James Pike (Priest-in-charge) 1980-1981
Michael Boyd 1981-1982
Roderick J. Gillis 1982-1986
Melvin Langille 1986-1990
Charles Sidney Black 1990-1997
Dr. Davena Davis (Priest-in-charge) 1997-1998Mark Marshall 1998-2011
Rev. John E. Stannage
Born in Jersey, England, and ordained in 1834 at St. Paul’s Church, French Village. He did outstanding work by traveling back to his homeland obtaining gifts and money for his mission. He organized and helped to raise a fund, around the year 1850, to the amount of $7,000. It later became an endowment fund for St. Paul’s and St. Peter’s parishes from which a stipend is paid annually. Rev. Stannage married Eliza, daughter of N. Lecain in St. George’s Church, Halifax, by Rev. R.F. Uniacke.
-Served Parish 1834-1858
Rev. John Ambrose.
.A., D.C.L., zoologist; born at Saint John, N.B. 25th Sept., 1823; son of Richard and Katherine (Phillips) Ambrose died Sackille, N.S., 12th September, 1898. He was born one month after the arrival of his parents from Cove of Cork (Queenstown), Ireland. Although originally from England, his ancestors had resided in Ireland for generations. Was educated at Truro and at King’s College, Windsor. (B.A. 1852; M.A. 1856; D.C.L. 1888) For over fourty-four years laboured successfully as a clergyman for the Church of England at St. Margaret’s Bay, Digby, Liverpool, New Dublin and Herring Cove. Was editor of ‘Church Work’ and ‘The Halifax Church Chronicle’, and also was a governor of King’s College. Married, 30th June 1853, at Liverpool, N.SA., Charlotte Ann Barss (U.E. Loyalist descent). During a busy life as a country parson, he found in natural history a recreation, although not claiming to be an authority on the subject He was an original member of the Institute and was proposed as a member of the first council, but as he lived at a distance from Halifax, he could take but little active part in it’s work; and in 1890 was elected a corresponding member. He published six papers in it’s Transactions, all relating to either the fishes or birds of St. Margaret’s Bay, where he was stationed for thirteen years and so had ample opportunity of gathering from the fishermen much information regarding the inhabitants of the deep.
-Served Parish 1858-1870
Rev. John Owen Ruggles. M.A.
Once Vicar and Rector of the Parish of Horton. Son of Israel Wllliams and Mary (Owen) Ruggles, of Annapolis, and great-grandson of General Timothy Ruggles, the noted Loyalist, who settled in Nova Scotia in 1783. He was born in Annapolis County, Feb. 8, 1840; entered King’s College, Windsor, in 1854; received B.A. 1859 and M.A. in 1863; Ordained Deacon in 1863, and Priest in 1864. From 1863 to 1871 he was Vicar and again from 1878 to 1888 Rector of Horton. (Between these years he was Minister for St. Paul’s Parish, St. Margaret’s Bay). He married his first cousin, Catherine Elizabeth, daughter of Daniel Owen, Barrister of Lunenburg, and had ten children., He was a devoted and faithful Priest of the Anglican Communion and died suddenly at Windsor in the performance of Clerical duty Sept. 23, 1895. He is buried in the Anglican Churchyard at the “Three Mile Church” near Halifax.
-Served Parish 1870-1878
Rev. Samuel Trivett
Born in England on April 6, 1852. He was expected to follow in his father’s footsteps of winemaking, but instead offered himself for training in the Ministry of the Church of England – for this he was disowned by his family. He was ordained Deacon and Priest in 1878. He lied as one of the more interesting personalities of the Anglican Church in the Province of Alberta in forking with the Blood Indians. He lived with great personal sorrow and hardship. He made mistakes. He was devoted. He was put on trial and driven away. In Nova Scotia he served the following parishes: St. Barnabas, Blandford (1896-1899); Stewiacke (1899-1902); St. Paul’s, French Village
(1902-1911); Milton (1911-1914); Guysborough (1914-1917), Oakfield (Chaplain to the Laurie family 1919-1925). He died December 22, 1931, at the age of 79. Mrs. Trivett died in 1950 at the age of 92. Both are buried in Camp Hill Cemetery. The Bell of St. Margaret’s Church, Tantallon, is inscribed; “Samuel Trivett, Rector, Easter, 1907”.
-Served Parish 1902-1911
RUDDERHAM, Rev. James Franklin (BA) (BD)
He was the son of James Ward Rudderham (1876-1945) & Selma Lewis (abt 1882-1915) who m. 25 Dec. 1901 in Glace Bay..
He was a native of Sydney where he received his high school education. He subsequently studied honors classics and theology at the University of Kings College, Halifax. He was ordained deacon in the Anglican Church in 1931 and priest in 1932. In his early years as a clergyman, he served the parishes of West LaHave, Port Medway and French Village before moving in 1943 to Kings College School, Windsor, as chaplain and later as headmaster (1952-1954). During his time at Kings College, he also served temporarily at nearby vacant parishes in Annapolis Valley and in parishes throughout Nova Scotia during the summer months. In 1954 he became rector of All Saints Episcopal Church, Whitman, Mass. While there, he also served as president of the local Council of Churches and of the Council for the Aged. He retired to Conquerall Bank in 1972. He passed away peacefully on December 2, 1995 at age 89.
His wife was the former Gertrude Irene Clements married on 23 Sept, 1936. She was born in 1910, in Port Medway, the daughter of the late George and Jenny (Wolfe) Clements. She passed away after a short illness resulting from a fall at age 99 just six months short of her 100th birthday, she was the last survivor of siblings, Charles, Theodore, Lester (Trudy), Lorne (Kay) and Roger (Elsa) Clements, and Katharine (Ben) Alexander. She was survived by son, Michael (Ilene), Leamington, Ont; grandchildren, Jill (Primo), Scott, Andy (Carol Ann) Rudderham and Heather (Jeff) Gillard, all of Oakville, Ont; Janet Rudderham, Gaithersburg, Md.; great-grandchildren, Ryan, Connor and Dylan Rudderham and Ella Gillard. She was predeceased by her husband, Rev. J. Franklin Rudderham, and their son, Peter (Nancy).
Rev. Horace MacLean
Born in North Sydney; died at Middleton, March 18, 1983, age 71. He was graduate of King’s College. Served in the Parishes of Neil’s Harbour, French Village, Digby, St. George’s, Sydney and Windsor. Buried St. James Anglican Cemetery, Bridgetown.
– Served Parish 1943-1949
Rev. Canon Carmon W. F. Stone
Born in Bridgewater, 1903, died October 3, 1970, age 67. He received his early education in Bridgewater and later earned his B.A. and B.D. from the University of King’s College. Canon Stone served as Parish Priest in Port Medway, Hubbards, and St. George’s, Halifax. In 1946 he joined the faculty of King’s and in 1948 he became a full-time associate professor. That year he moved with his family to Hubbards. He served as professor of Liturgics and also instructed students in Pastoralia, Dogmatics, Homilitics, Greek Testament, and Religious Knowledge. He served the College as Clerk of Convocation until his death. An authority on The Book of Common Prayer, he contributed to its understanding and appreciation at both the Diocesan and National Church levels, serving the latter in the revisions of the Prayer Book (1959). In 1964 he was installed as Honorary Canon of the Cathedral Church of All Saints. He is buried in Pine Hill Cemetery, Hubbards.
– Served Parish 1951
Rev. Wilfred Rees-Wright, D.D.
Dr. Rees-Wright is remembered in the Halifax area for his help in the design and construction of the Planetarium at the Nova Scotia Museum of Science. Before returning to England in 1957, he was Anglican Rector at French Village and Bedford, Halifax County. A scientist as well as a religious leader, Dr. Rees-Wright was educated at the University College of North Wales at Bangor, graduated in 1923 in biological subjects and continued to earn his Master of Science Degree in the Department of Agricultural Zoology. He was an Exhibitioner of the University of Wales and held a Demonstratorship in Bangor before his appointment as Assistant Lecturer in Zoology at the University of Manchester, the position he held until he entered St. Michael’s College, Llandaff, to take Holy Orders. From a Curacy in Broughton, near Wrexham, he became Rector of Lochgilphead (Argyle) and later Vicar of Berdon in Essex. In 1948 he was appointed Professor of Biology in the Memorial University of Newfoundland at St. John’s, and later relinquished this scientific post to resume clerical duties, moving to Nova Scotia. Funeral services for Rev. Rees-Wright were held in Hollybush Church, Worcester, England.
– Served Parish 1952-1953
Col. Rev. William Rippon
Col. Rev. William Rippon was born in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England, on March 25, 1897. In 1914, at the age of 17, he joined the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, 61st Division of the British army. In July 2016, the 61st Division fought in the battle of Fromelles as part of the Somme offensive. In July 1917, his Division took part in the Allied offensive known as the Third Battle of Ypres, or Passchendale, during which nearly 245,000 British soldiers were killed, wounded or missing. Having survived two major battles, although wounded (gassed), in August 1917, he was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant. On May 5, 1920, Lt. Rippon married Malvina Bonnick. He remained in the army between 1918 and 1939, serving in Ireland, India, and North Africa. He rose to the rank of Lt. Col. and served throughout the Second World War, training three battalions and, in 1944, he commanded the largest military prison in Italy. In 1949, he immigrated to Canada, as did his son, Lt. Col. Clive Rippon, DFC, and daughter Rosemary. His youngest daughter Patricia remained in England. As was God’s plan, having survived two major world wars, William was called to the ministry. He was ordained into the Anglican Church and in 1954 he became Rector of the Parish of French Village where he faithfully served until 1968. His wife, Malvina, was an active participant and much-loved companion throughout his ministry, as was his daughter, Rosemary. Col. Rev. Rippon as well as his wife and daughter Rosemary are buried in the cemetery at St. George’s Church.
Rev. Michael S. Boyd
It is with great sadness that his family announces the death of the Reverend Michael Stephen Boyd, 61, of Halifax, on Thursday, January 31, 2013. Born in Windsor, Michael was the second son of Eric and the late Margaret (Smith) Boyd. He was a graduate of Acadia University and the University of Toronto, Trinity College. Ordained as a priest of the Anglican Church of Canada in 1976, Michael served parishes in Digby, French Village and Hantsport, retiring in July 2012 after serving St. Andrew's Parish in Hantsport for 31 years. Michael had a great love for his family, Anglican liturgy, choral and organ music, movies and summer sojourns in Petite Riviere. He is survived by his father Eric, and his step-mother, Mattie, Bedford; his brothers, John (Deborah), Halifax; Barry (Krista), Vaughans; and Jim, Belleville, Ont.; and his sisters, Anne (Ron) Huestis, Bedford; Carolyn (Bill) Armstrong, Avonport; and Florence (David) Bartol, Bedford; as well as thirteen nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by his mother, Margaret (2003); and his brother, Reg (1982).
A Memorial Service will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday, February 5, 2013, in St. George's Anglican Church, 2222 Brunswick St., Halifax. A reception will follow. Interment will be held in Maplewood Cemetery, Windsor.
- Served Parish 1981-1982
Rev. Canon Rod Gillis
A native of Glace Bay, N.S., Rod graduated from St. Francis Xavier University (B.A. 1975) and The Atlantic School of Theology (M.Div., 1978). He was ordained deacon for the Diocese of Nova Scotia in 1977 and Priest in 1979. Prior to his appointment to the Parish of French Village, Rod served as student deacon at Emmanuel Parish Spryfield |(1977-78); curate at Holy Trinity, Bridgewater with the Conqueralls (1978-79) and rector to the Parish of St. Andrew’s, Neil’s Harbour (1979-82).
The Rev. Ro Gillis took up responsibilities as rector of the Parish of French Village in July 1982. During his time as rector he was a member of the St. Margaret’s Bay Peace Group, an adjunct faculty member at Atlantic School of Theology for two terms, a member of the Program Committee of St. Margaret’s Regional Council, and Regional Dean 1984-1986. The French Village Branch of the Canadian Mothers’ Union was started during his incumbency. Rod’s wife Wendy was one of the original members. The parish also participated in the Anglicans in Mission Campaign of the National Church. The lay readers’ program was expanded and the Book of Alternative Services was introduced. Upon arrival in the parish the Gillis family had three children; Ian, Anna, and Neil. The oldest two children started school at Tantallon Elementary. Their youngest child, Peter, was born in 1986 and baptized at St. Paul’s, French Village, just weeks prior to the family’s departure for St. Michael and All Angels Parish in Corner Brook, Newfoundland in late September 1986.
The Gillis family returned to the diocese where Rod served as Rector of St. James, Mahone Bay (1988-1992), St. John’s, North Sydney (1993-1998) during which time he also served as archdeacon of Cape Breton. He was appointed rector of St. James Armdale in August 1998 with additional responsibilities as archdeacon of Chebucto 1999-2004. Rod was made a Canon of All Saints Cathedral in 2004. The Rev. Canon Rod Gillis retired from parish ministry at Armdale in 2012.
-Served Parish 1982-1986
Rev. Canon Melvin Langille
As a theological student at AST, Father Melvin had the honour of serving in the parishes of All Saints’ Cathedral, Halifax; St George’s, New Glasgow with St Augustine’s, Trenton & St Alban’s, Thorburn; St Margaret of Scotland, Halifax; the seven wonderful congregations of Tangier Parish; and the Parish of Falkland (Herring Cove & Portugese Cove). Ordained Deacon in 1982 (2 May) he was posted to be director of the Anglican Youth Camp, Mason’s Point while at the same time being Deacon-in-Charge of the Parish of Falkland. He then went to assist for a time in the Parish of Ship Harbour during the illness of their parish priest. January of 1983 saw him posted to the Parish of St John the Evangelist, Lower Sackville (including Good Shepherd, Beaverbank & St Nicholas, Hammond’s Plains). Ordained priest on 24 April 1983, he continued on in Lower Sackville for a couple of months until Bp. Hatfield appointed him Rector of Lockeport & Barrington Parishes (Holy Cross, Lockeport; St Peter’s, West Green Harbour; Holy Trinity, Jordan Falls ; St Paul’s, Birchtown; Resurrection, Churchover & Ascension, Barrington Passage) which was effective on 1 July that year. Effective 1 January 1987 he was appointed Rector of French Village Parish (St James’, Boutilier’s Point; St George’s, Head of the St Margaret’s Bay; St Margaret’s, Tantallon & St Paul’s, French Village). He was appointed to the Parish of St Andrew, Cole Harbour as of 1 September 1990 and from there, on 1 December 1996 to the Parish of Holy Trinity, Yarmouth with St Stephen’s, Tusket. During his time in Yarmouth he was appointed Regional Dean of South West Nova Region.
In 2003 Fr Mel answered a call to take up the East Sutherland Parishes (St Finnbarr’s, Dornoch; St Columba’s, Brora; St Maelrubha’s Mission, Lairg and, later, St Gilbert’s Mission on the west coast of Sutherland) in the Diocese of Moray, Ross & Caithness, Scotland. He was the first fulltime, resident priest to serve Sutherland since the suppression of the Episcopal Church after the Battle of Culloden in 1746 (Episcopalians were Jacobites). Piping, Gaelic and knowledge of Scottish and Episcopalian history served him well. As in Nova Scotia, Mel has served on an assortment of committees and boards within the diocese and in Scotland, the province. He was also elected, by his fellow clergy, to the Office of Synod Clerk in 2006 and this brought with it a Canonry. He held this office for a full term and stepped down long enough to be re-elected to another Canonry and so continues on the Chapter as an advisor to the Bishop. In August of 2009 the Bishop appointed Mel to be Rector of the Black Isle Joint Charge (the Black Isle is neither black nor an isle but that is another story!) which includes St John’s Church, Arpafeelie; St Andrew’s, Fortrose & St Regulus’, Cromarty. Congregations are small in the north of Scotland but they are full of energy and committed to ministry and outreach. Fr Mel is active with the community in a number of different ways including teaching the bagpipe and Gaelic language. He remembers his time in French Village Parish with great fondness and is so happy to have kept in contact, over the years, with people from French Village and all the parishes he has had the honour of serving.
- Served Parish 1986-1990
Rev. Canon Charles Sidney Black
Canon Charlie Black was born in Toronto 1932, attended Regal Road Public School in Toronto, Earl Haig Collegiate Institute in North York Township, University College U of T, Huron College in London Ontario He was ordained Deacon and Priest and served the parishes of Ilderton, then Listowel before joining the Royal Canadian Navy as Chaplain in 1966. Retired from the RCN in1988, appointed Rector for the Parish of French Village 1990-97. Married to Shirlie Armour in 1958 and has five children, Richard (Abbottsford BC), Michael (Calgary AB) , Maureen (Newmarket ON), Catherine (Dartmouth NS), Peter (Brookside NS),and five grandchildren. Since leaving French Village he has served several other parishes in the Diocese of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, served as a Chaplain at the Atlantic School of Theology, and Chaplain to the Nova Scotia Naval Officers' Association, and the Canadian Naval Memorial Trust (HMCS Sackville). He also became Honorary Associate Priest at the Church of St. Andrew, Cole Harbour.
- Served Parish 1990-1997
Rev. Mark Marshall
A native Haligonian, Father Marshall completed his M.Div. from AST in 1994. He was made Deacon at the Cathedral Church of All Saints on the Feast of Edward the Confessor that same year, and was ordained Priest at Trinity Church Digby in March 1995. Father Mark was rector of the Parish of Digby and Weymouth from 1994-1998. In April 1998 he became rector of French Village where he served until 2011 when he became rector of The Anglican Church of the Apostles in Halifax.
- Served Parish 1998 - 2011